FAMILY CIRCLE MAGAZINE NAMES LAKE MARY, FLORIDA TO ANNUAL “10 BEST TOWNS FOR FAMILIES” LIST
Family Circle announces the results of its exclusive survey to identify America’s 10 Best Towns for Families. The brand’s eighth annual list reveals the country’s top towns that provide affordable housing options, strong sense of community and exemplary school systems. Lake Mary, known for its small-town feel and family-friendly events, makes this year’s 10 Best Towns for Families list and is featured in the August 2014 issue of Family Circle, on newsstands July 8 and online at FamilyCircle.com/besttowns.
Family Circle reveals the 10 Best Towns for Families (in alphabetical order):
- Apex, North Carolina: With historic buildings, a diverse population and a bevy of community events, this town is the pinnacle of quaintness.
- Boerne, Texas: Top-ranked schools andrandom acts of kindness are the norm in this San Antonio suburb.
- Brecksville, Ohio: Top-rated schools and ample green space provide a family-friendly setting where there is an equal emphasis on achievement and giving back.
- Camas, Washington: Simple pleasures like hiking along the Columbia River Gorge or catching a summertime parade add charm to this picturesque Portland suburb.
- Elmhurst, Illinois: A pedestrian-friendly downtown and opportunities for volunteering make this Chicago suburb a dream destination for families.
- Franklin, Tennessee: Residents in this Nashville suburb revel in year-round events with an emphasis on the outdoors.
- Lake Mary, Florida: Bursting with restaurants, stores and high-tech jobs, this Orlando suburb maintains a small town-feel with farmer’s markets, outdoor fairs and family-friendly events.
- Westborough, Massachusetts: People love to mingle in this leafy Boston suburb where there’s a special connection across generations young and old.
- Westfield, Indiana: Housing is affordable, the schools are stellar, but it’s Westfield’s sense of community that folks love most about this town.
- Woodbury, Minnesota: Over two-fifths of households in this Twin Cities suburb have children, making Woodbury an attractive destination to raise a family.
With the help of Onboard Informatics, a New York City research firm that provides real estate, demographic and other data, Family Circle initially assembled a list of 4,200 cities and towns with populations between 10,000 and 150,000. From that, nearly 1,400 localities having a high concentration of households with median incomes between $55,000 and $100,000 were selected. The editors then assessed which places best met its family-friendly criteria—including affordable homes, quality schools, access to health care, green space, low crime rate and financial stability—and ranked them from top to bottom. Family Circle selected the 10 winners from among the highest-rated towns.