What mom doesn’t love flowers for a special occasion? The Craft Shack has created this step-by-step guide to create a special Mother’s day gift that includes a flower that will last a lifetime! This adorable Mother’s Day canvas can be made from recycled materials, is fun to make and a sweet gift for Mom.
You Will Need:
- Upcycle an old canvas (prep with gesso) or buy a new one
- Acrylic paints from your art bin
- Any paint brushes you have around the house
- Mod Podge (available at any art store)
- Any type of glue
- Reuse some old rubber stamps, bubble wrap, or anything that will make texture
- Reuse some fabric scraps or old scrapbook paper (small prints work best)
- Ribbon scraps or lace pieces
- Chenille stems (AKA pipe cleaners)
- Photo of Mom and kid(s)
Step 1: Gather your fabric scraps or scrapbook paper and decide what color chenille stems would work best.
Step 2: One chenille stem will make two petals. Cut the chenille stem into half and bend into a petal shape (tear drop). Twist one end around the other to secure. This will leave a small tail.
Step 3: Add a line of glue around one side of the petal (leave out the tail) and place the petal on top of the fabric or scrapbook paper. Press down to ensure a good bond and let dry completely. Repeat for all petals.
Step 4: While the petals are drying paint your canvas, “junk” it up with stamps and/or add texture by using bubble wrap or anything else you can find.
Step 5: Using modpodge adhere your photograph. Frame your picture with ribbon using glue to adhere.
Step 6: Once the petals are dry, trim the fabric or scrapbook paper being careful not to cut through where the glue was applied.
Step 7: Glue petals onto canvas in a flower shape.
Step 8: Add a button or any other embellishment for the center of the flower.
Step 9: Type out a saying on your computer, cut it out and glue it down. You could also stamp or write directly on the canvas.